Monday, May 2, 2016

What I do, or who I am?

Hey everybody!

It's been a pretty good week.  Got everyone settled from transfers, got a new transfer set up.  It looks like it is going to be another good one.  Lots of fun.  Elder Sosa is super cool.  My guess was correct, he comes from Las Vegas, Nevada.  We are actually from the same graduating class, that being 2014.  He went to a year of university at that school down south before coming out, so he's been on his mission for about a year now.  

Struggled a lot with appointments falling through and getting a hold of investigators this week.  I hope we are able to get contact and resume helping most of them.  But for some it is probably coming to the point where we will put them in the area book if they fall through again and move on.  Try to find someone else that is prepared to receive the gospel.

For this week I'd like to share a lesson that I have learned a couple times on the mission, and that I hope is applicable to other phases of life as well.  Every missionary will face a point on his/her mission when they have to decide if missionary work is simply what they do or if it is who they are.  For those who choose that it is simply what they will be doing for the next 2 years or 18 months (it can even be a day by day choice), they tend to try and do the work in their own way, by their own strength, on their own time, at their own pace, and knowingly or unknowingly deny the access they have to heavenly help.  Whether successful or not, they lack an underlying happiness and make very little if any personal progress.  Those who make a choice that missionary work is who they are open up a whole new channel from which blessings can flow.  They go throughout the day yearning to do what the Lord would have them do, they are supported by heavenly help, they don't count time they simply do the Lord's work, they need little motivation to work hard because they have a drive from within that is fueled by the spirit being with them, and although they also have hard times, they have underlying happiness, hope, and optimism that cannot be conquered.  The reason I say that this is applicable to 'normal' life as well, is because as members of the Lord's true church we have to make the same choice.  Is being a disciple of Jesus Christ something I do, or is it who I am?  Am I simply doing things on the outside because it's what I should do, and still trying to stay the same person (holding on to the natural man).  Or am I yielding my heart to the spirit and allowing God to change me, and bring more happiness into my life because of it than I could find anywhere else?  It has been amazing to see what the Lord has done with my life at the times I have decided that I was going to try to be the best person I could instead of just trying to do the things I should.  

Journey to Higher Ground
Joseph B. Wirthlin
General Conference, October 2005

I love you all!  Hope you all have a great week!

-Elder Lott

No comments:

Post a Comment