Monday, August 3, 2015

Learning a Language or Two

Hey Everybody!

So this week has been another good, but not quite there week.  We've had to push back Sxxx's baptism again; really hope he can get work off soon and have to courage to ask his boss for it.  Kxxx, well, he's not doing well.  He has relapsed onto some old problems and is losing interest in meeting with us.  Nearly everyone else is on vacation, and although we do see miracles in finding, sometimes it's hard getting through all the other people in between.  Like so many times on my mission (at least a couple time a day) I feel exactly like Alma when he declared 'O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!  Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.  But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted me.' (Alma 29:1-3)  We have gotten some solid referrals though, we'll do all we can to help them receive the word of the gospel onto good ground.

I've been trying to have more fun with contacting people this week.  We do a lot of traveling because our area is huge, so instead of jumping straight into the gospel or the weather to start a conversation, I've been asking people where they are from.  Then if they aren't a tourist, I'll ask them to teach me either a little bit of French or Bruggs (a dialect of Flemish spoken here in Brugge among natives).  People's reactions are so much better when I approach things this way than any other.  We end up having much better conversations in the end as well.  It's funny how just a little bit of love in the form of trying to learn a language that hardly anyone knows really opens people up, who normally would probably just ignore me. 

I love you all and hope all is going well!

-Elder Lott

Question of the Week:   It looks like there are not many cathedrals in Brugge, but the ones there seem like historical treasures.  Have you had a chance to tour any of them yet?

Answer:  There are quite a few cathedrals here in Brugge, but even more old churches!  Whenever Elder Groesbeck and I take a break, we always look for the nearest church/cathedral and go inside.  They really are so cool.  Sadly, in lots of them you can't take pictures but that makes sense; they are a religious, spiritual site.  I haven't toured any yet to say, but seen a lot of them!

[Parent Note:  There are some magnificent cathedrals in Brugge.  I can't help sharing some of the fascinating histories of these beautiful structures  Check out the links!]

picture from Google
Famous organ and interior furnishings
St. Salvator's Cathedral, Bruges

picture from Google
 Houses a Michelangelo sculpture of the Madonna and Child
Church of Our Lady, Bruges


picture from Google
Repository of a vial said to contain a cloth with the blood of Jesus Christ
Basilica of the Holy Blood, Bruges





No comments:

Post a Comment