Monday, March 30, 2015

Wow... Just Wow

Goede Morgen Iedereen!
[Good Morning, Everybody!]

To start out I'd just like to say I'm super glad I decided to refocus. Because even with that commitment it was super hard this week not to dwell in the past.  Scary to think about how it would be if I had decided to do as the rich man in one of Christ's parables:

 "16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God." (Luke 12:16-21)   

Part of this was because we had a lot of dead time taken up by bus and train rides, going out to the far reaches of our area to look up some referrals, a couple of which were actually home, and we got to teach and get return appointments! Side note on that one, it is crazy the amount of success we are having with having people listen to us and accept to hear more.  The only thing I can say is that we try so hard to be obedient and work hard to have the spirit, and working through the spirit. I can attribute none of our success to anything less than the spirit. He is truly the one who can touch the hearts of the people so deeply, powerfully, and immediately.  All we have to do is strive to be worthy for the spirit, and not hinder it in any way.

The other reason was that every time we met with Nxx this week it was jaw dropping.  She is radiating the spirit, and only picking up more momentum.  On Tuesday, just a day and a half after her baptism we were on a bus with her going to dinner with a member family.  She shared her experience of watching her families baptisms via skype, then pulled out the book of Mormon and shared with us everything that she had learned from it in the last couple days, namely about faith and overcoming fear and looking to God and not man.  Then she bore hardcore testimony about everything she had just talked to us about.  Needless to say, we were speechless.

This week was also a first for me in many things.  Also on Tuesday, while we were at the members house they mentioned that the women living above them had hurt her back and they were wondering if we could give her a blessing.  We said sure, so they checked with her if that would be ok, and it was so we went up.  I thought the father of the member family we were with would give the blessing but somehow without really knowing how, I got there I was the one who ended up giving the blessing.  That was a super cool, and humbling experience.  It was humbling because I struggled through the first part of the blessing, not knowing exactly the words I needed to use in Dutch, because I've never even seen a blessing in Dutch, but after that it was great!  As I started the blessing I could feel of the infinite love our Father in Heaven has for this lady, and continued on with the blessing.  That was such an amazing experience.  Also on firsts, was that this week was my first chance to stand in during a confirmation.  That was really cool.  Also, I had the opportunity to bless the sacrament in Dutch!  That was really cool as well.

This week has been great.  I love you all so much!

-Elder Hayden L. Lott

Question of the Week:  Do you see vending machines for candy or soda like we have here, or are there only food carts? 

Answer:  Yeah we see vending machines here.  All filled with candy, soda, and... well, other things.  They also have here bread vending machines next to bakeries and stuff like that.


Bread Vending Machine in Brussels
(picture from traveblog.com)
Frites Vending Machine in Belgium
(picture from NY Post article about vending machines in Brussels)



No comments:

Post a Comment