Monday, July 6, 2015

Crazy Exit

Hey everybody!

Where to start with this week... normaly on a transfer week I would put that first, but this week I think I'll put it off until later due to other crazy events.

So I guess there was only really one crazy thing that happened this week and it simply triggered all the others.  I'll skip to the moral of the story on this one: Elder Lott needs to be done with bikes.  Ok, maybe that's not the real one, but it's definitely a front runner.  This last Tuesday I got into another bike crash, my second here in Almere due to some poor short-sited choices on my part.  We were leaving the Almere Buiten apartment after stopping by to get a drink. Then we went to leave, and my brakes gave out going down the steep ramp out the garage and I crashed into the slowly ascending garage door.  My bike made it through, but I didn't, getting taken out from the waist up by the door.  (Again my bike was just fine; I'll probably ditch it though, and try and find a bike with good brakes from an elder that's done this transfer.) The bike then ran out from under me, my feet flying up and I landed on my back. I ended up with a concussion, countless bumps and bruises, and a dislocated thumb (which I ended up relocating myself later!). That wasn't fun.  I am learning so many things from this experience, but I don't quite feel like I can put most of it properly to words at this point in time.  For now though, I do know a few things.  One is that God, our Heavenly Father, is very much there and looking out for us.  Sometimes he allows things happen in life, but it is in defense of our free agency, which is a much greater gift than any of us truly understand.  Sometimes we make dumb decisions or ignore spiritual promptings, but He still looks out for us.  His hand is in our lives more than we ever see.  Everything will work together for our good if we are faithful, with all of our losses being made up in the end and His promises also being fulfilled, if not in this life, then in the next.

Agency allows us to be tested and tried to see whether or not we will endure to the end and return to our Heavenly Father with honor. … Agency permits us to make faithful, obedient choices that strengthen us so that we can lift and strengthen others.”
—Robert D. Hales

The second part of this email will be about transfers.  Surprise!  I am getting transferred!  It is something even more perfect than I could have ever imagined too!  I going back to Belgium!  I'm being transferred down to Brugge, Belgium!  My companion with be another young elder, Elder Groesbeck.  He will be on his second transfer.  So I will be his breaker. I guess that's my role in this mission ;) Fun stuff, Brugge is a beautiful city!  One of the prettiest in Europe, so that will be nice.  I love Belgium so much, I might start trying to learn some French with this second go around.  So great, so excited.

Brugge Square - picture from Google


Canal in Brugge - picture from Google



I love you all so much!

Love, 

-Elder Hayden L. Lott

No comments:

Post a Comment